New York State
If you are a NYS employee in the Administrative, Institutional, Operational or Department of Military and Naval Affairs bargaining units, dental and vision benefits do not continue into retirement. Dental and Vision benefits do not become part of your health insurance and must be purchased separately. They are not part of Medicare.
Unified Court System
If you are a member of the Unified Court System, dental and vision benefits continue into retirement.
If you are employed by a local government political subdivision such as a Town, Village, County, Public Authority or School District, please check with your employer to find out what benefits you carry into retirement.
CSEA has created a Retirement Guide(pdf) that is available through the CSEA Member Benefits Department (1-800-342-4146 ext. 1403). The Guide is a planning and reference tool for CSEA members and provides important information on pension, social security benefits at retirement as well as insurance plans endorsed by CSEA. The Retirement Guide(pdf), references several dental plans available for purchase. To assist the retiree in choosing the right plan for them, dental and vision comparisons have been prepared showing the difference between all plans listed in the guide.
Dental and Vision Programs – Rules in Common
- Not All participants have access to both Programs
- You have a maximum of 90 days from your termination date due to retirement or 90 days from your COBRA end date due to retirement to elect the Program(s).
- You had to have a negotiated EBF dental or vision plan on the date of your retirement to access the program(s).
- Your employer had to sign a separate Retiree Memorandum of Agreement for either/both program(s) during the course of your employment to be eligible for participation.
- If you are eligible and elect both programs, you must pay your monthly premiums through the Recurring Payment Program(pdf).
- Coverage is offered in three tiers: Retiree; Retiree +1; and Family.
Who is an eligible dependent?
Search Your Retiree Benefits
Select your employer:
Local Government Employees:
Select the county in which you are employed:
Frequently Asked Questions
Retiree Dental FAQ
Retiree Dental Comparisons
The comparisons below offer helpful information for the options available as a retiree. To select a comparison, you must know what dental plan you had as an active employee. COBRA options are included on the comparisons.
Retiree Vision FAQ
Retiree Vision Plan Comparisons
The comparisons below offer helpful information for the options available as a retiree. To select a comparison, you must know what vision plan you had as an active employee. COBRA options are included on the comparisons.
Using Your Benefits Outside Of New York State
If you reside outside of New York State, please use the following guidelines when submitting claims:
- Dental coverage does not require use of a participating dentist. Areas where there are no providers result in the member being reimbursed on the fee scheduled amount for the services rendered. Charges over the fee schedule are the responsibility of the member. To obtain a copy of your dental fees, please refer to the Retiree Dental and Vision Benefits Book
- To find out of state dental providers, visit our Provider Search then click “select state” and scroll to the state you need. Click “Find Providers.” Note: only states with providers are listed.
- Completed dental claims must be submitted on a Universal ADA Claim Form. The EBF ID# is required for claims to be processed.
- Claims can be mailed to the CSEA EBF, PO Box 489, Latham, NY 12110-0489
- Dental offices can submit claims electronically through WebMD (Emdeon Business Services) or TESIA. The EBF’s Payer number is CX054.
- The EBF offers a national network of vision providers throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. On the Provider Search page, click the Vision Tab. To find providers in any state, click the “Select State” search box and scroll to the state you need. Click “Find Providers”
- Submit a Vision Care Reimbursement Form(pdf) if you are not using a participating vision provider. Send to CSEA EBF, PO Box 516, Latham, NY 12110-0516.
If you have questions regarding any of the above, contact the Employee Benefit Fund, toll free 1-800-323-2732 and select COBRA/Retiree from the phone menu.