Click on the tabs below to view highlights and associated forms regarding your state benefits or download a digital copy of our NYS Summary Plan Description Booklet for full plan benefits.
The Vision Care Plan offers quality services at no cost to the members within the designated plan when using a participating provider.
If you choose to get eyeglasses, there are select lenses and frames covered under the plan:
- Routine eye exam. This includes dilation if professionally indicated.
- Eyeglasses OR contact lenses
- Members, spouses and domestic partners are allowed one full service (exam and eyewear) every other calendar year. Children are allowed 1 full service every calendar year. Upon turning 19 years of age, children are allowed one full service every other calendar year.
- An Occupational benefit is available to Members whose job duties require 50% or more of their work hours using a computer, driving or working outside. This benefit allows for a 2nd pair of glasses if a different prescription and/or tinting is needed for the second pair. If you qualify for this benefit, you must get your Occupational glasses at the same time as your regular pair of glasses or contacts and you must use a participating provider.
- Fixed Co-pays may be available at the time of the eligible service through a participating provider, members and eligible dependents who wish to purchase lenses and coatings not currently covered under the plan may be entitled to a set co-pay, resulting in substantial out-of-pocket savings. Please note that Fixed Co-pays are not refundable.
If you choose to get contacts:
- The frame collection includes a large selection in multiple styles and is updated periodically. If you opt for a frame that is not part of the collection, you will be given a $75 allowance from the plan and you must pay the difference to the provider.
- Covered Lenses are Single Vision, Bifocal and Trifocal Lenses, Photogray Lenses (Glass), Blended Invisible Bifocals, Standard Progressive Addition Lenses, Plan Lenses Include Scratch Proofing Lenses.
Plan contacts consist of soft planned replacement or disposable lenses. You are allowed $25 toward non-plan contacts. For plan contacts, a contact lens formulary is used which allows for an initial supply of the most popular and commonly prescribed brands of soft contact lenses. For non-plan contacts, the $25 allowance will be applied toward the total cost of the contacts. Please note that the duration of the initial supply may vary depending on the lens type, wearing habits and prescribing doctor’s instructions regarding replacement schedule.
The State Dental plan is offered for a CSEA-represented bargaining unit that has negotiated with your employer for Fund coverage. There is a $3,000 a year annual maximum on dental benefits available to each member and dependent(s). Orthodontic benefits are available for eligible dependents under the age of 19. Whenever the estimated cost of a recommended dental treatment exceeds $500, we recommend that your dentist submit to the EBF for a pre-authorization before the work begins. A pre-authorization is not a guarantee of benefits. Payment is always subject to eligibility at the time of service.
If you become ineligible for Fund coverage because of retirement, termination, layoff, leave without pay or reduction in hours, you may have certain rights to continue Plan coverage through COBRA.
If you die, or become divorced or legally separated, or a dependent ceases to be a dependent, your spouse and/or dependent has certain rights to continue Plan coverage through COBRA. In the event of divorce, legal separation or a child losing dependent status, you or a family member must inform the Fund of the qualifying event within 60 days of the event or the date on which coverage would be lost because of the event.
Download the Prescription Drug Co-Pay Reimbursement Form
Reimburses prescription drug card co-pays and covered prescriptions less than the co-pay once annually up to a maximum of $400 per family*, per calendar year. To obtain the maximum benefit of $400, members must wait until their co-pay expenses reach $600 before filing a claim.
*For purposes of the Prescription Drug Co-pay Benefit, “Family” includes Domestic Partner.
What is the benefit?
Submit your completed form with itemized pharmacy printout clearly indicating the co-pay amount, prescription drug name and patient information. Once the claim is processed the EBF will send the check to the member. Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing.
- Members who are enrolled in the New York State Health Insurance Program (either the Empire Plan or Health Maintenance Organization) are entitled to reimbursement once annually for prescription drug co-pays only, for themselves and their eligible dependents.
- Only one claim per calendar year (January 1 – December 31) is processed. To obtain the maximum benefit, wait until your co-pay expenses reach $600 before filing your claim.
- If you do not accumulate $600 before the end of the year, submit your claim after December 31 for what you did pay over $400.
- The deadline for submission is March 31 of the following year for the co-pays accumulated during the previous Calendar Year.
- Cash register receipts, cancelled checks and credit card receipts are not acceptable.
- Charges for “over the counter” drugs, prescriptions not covered by your prescription plan, vaccines/injections, brand/generic differentials and medical supplies are not reimbursed.
- Prescriptions must be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist.
All CSEA members in good standing who are covered by the Employee Benefit Fund for one or more benefits are automatically enrolled in this program at no cost to the member or employer. Administered by Pearl Insurance, this program insures the member for trauma experienced during specific incidents while in pursuit of their occupational duties; i.e., criminal assault on the job, hostage situations, and accidental death related to an assault. There are specific benefit amounts paid dependent upon conditions explained in the program booklet.
- Assault in the 1st Degree; $10,000 for incidents involving injuries or fractures requiring a stay of 2 consecutive nights, or an incident of rape for the covered employee. There is no overnight stay required for rape.
- $2,000 for assaults other than 1st Degree or fractures requiring a stay of 2 consecutive nights in the hospital for the covered employee.
- $500 for all other incidents.
What is the Benefit?
- Accidental death or dismemberment resulting from assault. A payment of $10,000 per person incident; 50 percent of sum for dismemberment of either hand or foot, or loss of sight in one eye.
- Permanent Total Disability resulting from assault. A one time payment of 400% of the assault benefit payable.
- Captivity while in the pursuit of his/her occupational duties. 0-8 hours - 25% of annual base salary of covered employee up to $100,000 maximum. Eight hours or more - 50% of annual base salary of covered employee up to a maximum of $100,000.
- Accidental death, dismemberment or permanent total disability during captivity while in the pursuit of his/her occupational duties. A payment of 100 percent of covered employee's annual basic salary (not exceeding $500,000); 50 percent of salary for dismemberment of either hand or foot, or sight in one eye.
- Accidental death due to occupation resulting from causes other than captivity or assault. A payment of $1,000
Criminal assaults while in pursuit of his/her occupational duties and resulting in at least 10 consecutive workdays absent from work immediately following the incident.
How to File A Claim Under This Benefit
- The Insured has the right to name a beneficiary. The beneficiary must be someone other than the Policyholder. A Designation of Beneficiary form may be requested from Pearl Insurance
- Designation of Beneficiary Forms and Workplace Security Claim Forms may be obtained from:
Attn.: CSEA/EBF Workplace Security Claims
13 Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (800) 859-2552, Fax: (518) 640-8105
This description of coverage is only a summary of the benefits provided under the Workplace Security program underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company. Please see the group policy for complete details, including plan features, costs, eligibility, limitations and exclusions.